Sunday, April 15, 2012

Card for a BIG Baby?!?

We have a new challenge starting today over at Here Come The Boys... we want you to make a project for a "Tiddly Peep".  I have chosen to make a card celebrating the birth of a baby boy (don't forget it's Here Come The BOYS), but I think this image would work just as well for a Tiddly Peeps birthday.
I got this gorgeous Crissy Armstrong image from Squigglefly absolutely AGES ago - you can get it in rubber at Whimsy Stamps... I don't know why I was so nervous about colouring it up, I just was!  In the end I decided to flex my new found love of Prismacolor pencils to give a softer look... mainly as I'm no good at the pastel look, particularly with Copics :-)  Not that the elephant ended up that pastel either, when I look at it.
I love the soft blue on my papers (Kaisercrafts Lullaby collection and DCWV Animal Crackers) and card from American Crafts, and while I don't have a favourite colour (I really do like most colours) this is my fave shade of blue so I'm entering the Sundays with Crissy challenge; Favourite Colours.
The Deep Ocean Challenge theme is "Inspired by a Song", I have to say Baby Elephant Walk was going through my head the whole time I was making this - (in fact it's going through my head again, arghh) so I'm entering there too!
Once again I've used the sketch from Sweet Sketch Wednesday... once again it's a fabby Sketch, lol.
As I wanted to add some bling to this card, without making it too feminine, I used lovely sparkly paper from Merci (I think) as the background for the image panel.  It went with the glittered leaves on my vertical strip and I added Diamond Stickles to the edge of the sentiment circle too. The sentiment is from Hobby Palais, but I don't think you can get it any more, I changed the colour to blue in Word, it was cut using Nestabilities Standard Circles and matted onto one of my new Impress Flower dies.  Some flat backed pearls finished it off. Totally Gorjuss has Bling as their challenge, so I'm entering there.
Now you may have noticed the stitching on this card... it's the first time I've done "proper" stitching on a card and would you believe it, I can't find one challenge that has "stitching", lol.  Well, at least I've tried something new and I will do it again - dragging the machine out took ten times as long as the actual stitching, but what the hey!
I used paper from the front on the inside, don't I always, and used the same Martha Stewart border punch on the edges of the strips as I did on the vertical panel on the front.  The pearls are on a string - I've had them in my stash for TEN years at least....at WasteNot Want Not Wednesdays Lisa always has us using our neglected stash; ten years is pretty neglected so I'm in (though my lovely hitherto unused stamp would have got me in anyway, lol)
Fairy Fun Fridays, Oozak and Stamptacular Sunday all have Anything Goes challenges at the moment so I'll be entering there too.
Well that's it for my card for the Tiddly Peeps Challenge, why don't you pop over to the Here Come The Boys blog and check out the rest of the Teams projects, there's some cuteness, that's for sure.  We've got a great prize going, a bag of charms like the one on the left (courtesy of Woo), and you know you always need a "male" themed card so why not get one done for a Tiddly Peep in your life and enter the challenge?
Until next time, Happy Crafting, Donna

24 comments:

Wishcraft said...

I know what you mean about some images making you nervous, I'm exactly the same... they usually turn out fine when you finally get round to it though - yours has, he looks very cute :o) Love the soft blue papers and pretty pearls too.

Thanks for joining in with my WNW challenge hun xx Lisa x

Tina said...

aadorable card

Ann Marie Governale said...

What a great card! Love the way you colored the elephant and the pearls are such a nice touch! Thanks for playing with us at Stamptacular Sundays! xxx Ann Marie

mulberry station said...

What a beautiful baby card. I love everything about this card. It is fabulous! Thansk for joining us.
Nancy SSW-DT

Linda Anderson said...

Adorable, absolutely adorable!!! Love, love, love your coloring of this darling elephant. So many sweet touches on this card too. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

Linda

Vicky said...

Just the cutest Donna...:o)

big hugs Vicky xx

Anonymous said...

Donna this card is adorable!! Love the colours and your sweet image! xxxxx

Patti P. said...

Wow, I love your coloring on this adorable elephant!! Your glitter and the glitter paper are just perfect and your inside is as gorgeous as the outside.
Thanks for sharing at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

Patti SSW/DT

sweetbloominscraps said...

Oh I love to make baby cards and this image is so adorable. You did such a wonderful job. I love Crissy image and may have to go purchase it! The elephant really captures your heart! Thanks for playing along at SSW!
Judi SSW DT

Jeannie said...

This couldn't be any sweeter ~ inside and out! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

Peace & Luv,
Jeannie

Heide said...

What a darling baby card! Such a sweet, sweet image. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesdays.
Hugs, Heide SSW-DT

Arlana 11426 said...

Sweet baby card!!! Love everything about it. Elephant is colored to perfection. Have a sweet day!!! Arlana@ssw!!!

Sharon Basel said...

Oh my goodness this is a fabulous card! Your coloring with the pencils is just amazing. Total perfection there - I'd love to see how you did it. I love how the elephant is the central panel in the card for the sketch. And the stitching and pearl accents are a fab finishing touch.
Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday!
Sharon DT

debby4000 said...

Oh Donna this is so gorgeous, love it.
luv
Debby

Genevieve said...

Beautiful baby card, fabulous colouring & gorgeous glitter paper. Thanks so much for joining us this week @ SSW :)

Genevieve DT

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Adorable Elephant gorgeous card. Happy crafting Ginny

Kathie said...

Hi Donna this is the most perfect baby boys card. I love this image and your wonderful blue colours and papers and your added pearls are just a perfect finishing touch. Great card and thanks so much for joining us this week at Sweet Sketch Wednesday and good luck.
Kathie SSW-DT

Pat K said...

Sweet baby boy card Donna and it's coloured beautifully. Gorgeous inside and out!

Rosalien Zwackhalen said...

I think you did a great job colouring the elephant, he looks gorgeous. :) Blue is one of my favorite colours too. I love all the details on the card and your stitching. You did a great job. :)) Thanks for playing along with Sundays with Crissy.

Hugs, Rosalien

Shelby Goolsby said...

Aaaahhh, how adorable!! Love that elephant and all of the pearl details. Great job on the stitching, that is something I haven't tackled yet myself.

Klare said...

so cute, great card. just love that image used
klare
:O)
x

Anita said...

Soooo adorable! Your coloring is beyond fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us at the Stamptacular Sunday Challenge!

anaRy said...

Great coloring!
Thank you soo much for sharing your project with us at Oozak's blog!
x
anaRy

Laila said...

What a nice card you've made :o)
Hugs Laila

check out my small spring candy on http://blog.lolapigen.dk