Sunday, May 08, 2016

Flowers, Flowers Everywhere - at Di's Digis

Here we are again with a new challenge starting at Di's Digis Challenge Blog, the theme this time around is "Flowers Everywhere".  I made a card for my lovely Mum for Mother's Day... which is tomorrow here in Australia!  
It's a "Magic" card... or that's what Marianne called it in her fabulous tutorial here... it uses the "winged sides to stand up and has a "secret" panel that shows when you lift up the front panel.
The oh-so-sweet image is called Hide and Seek Mice (I do love Di's mice images!) and you can get it here.  I coloured with Copics, adding some depth to the shading with Prismacolor pencils and some gold gel pen to the base of the petals... it ties in with the gold on the paper and actually looks a bit more subtle in real life, quite effective if I do say so myself :-)I used some beautiful handmade Cherry Blossom patterned Chiyogami paper from my beloved Starfish Lane - special paper for my very special Mum :-)  It's a pain to cut cleanly, you do have to spend a bit of time cleaning up the cut edges but it's SO worth it; this paper is GORGEOUS in real life, with a tissue-y texture, gold detail and rich colours.
I punched the edges of the "wings" that help the card to stand with a Martha Stewart Edge punch - "Doily Lace", I sponged some dusky pink Kaisercraft ink on the edges to soften the effect. 
I've been drooling over Stitched Mat type dies all over blogland, I finally treated myself to a couple of sets - Stitched Mats circles and squares - from L'il Inkers (the largest one in each of their sets is the biggest of all the brands I looked at) they stitch "inside and outside" of the cut line; giving a stitched line on the outer edge of the mat and around the outside of the "hole", which gives a useful negative :-)  I'm really impressed with how nicely they cut, and their customer service was excellent too.  I inked the edges of all the circles to match the punched edges.
The flowers on the front are from my stash... they came on a branch and as they weren't the right colour I just touched them up with a Copic marker to suit.  The sentiment is a sticker, it was all joined together in three rows, I snipped them apart and voila!
The poem inside the card was one I found on Pinterest... click on the pic to see it up close and personal :-) I typed it out using Precosia font, I haven't added it to my freebies page as this font was free for Personal Use only. 
Another stitched mat circle for a jotting panel and a strip of the Doily Lace to tie that in (and to compensate for the fact that I didn't have enough of the chiyogama paper to cover the whole of that panel) and done... it looks okay I think.
Well that's it for today's card, pop over to the blog and check out the rest of the DT's work; truly Flowers Everywhere, lol.  I hope you get a chance to enter the challenge this time around... there's a great prize on offer as always (from Magnalicious this challenge) woohoo! If you use one of Di's sweet images you get to go into an extra draw too don't forget!
 I'll be sharing my card at Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge, as I'm on the DT I won't be entering the prize draw - just "show and tell", lol, but I WILL be entering Mum's card in the following challenges.  
Cute Card Thursday Secrets (a hidden something) hidden panel behind the front flap
Pile It On Garden Creatures
Tuesday Throwdown Welcome Spring
Aud Sentiments  Animals + a sentiment
As You Like It Favourite; Patterned or Embossed Paper - well I DO love patterned :-) especially when it's so lush as this
Creatalicious Challenges Mother's Day/Special Lady My Mum is VERY special
The Paper Shelter Love (any kind of love) I love my Mum, that's some kind of love
Fab'n'funky Challenges 3 or More Layers
I'll be back soon... still got that pile in my Draft folder, lol.  Until then Happy Crafting, Donna

18 comments:

Wendy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Donna, love the sweet image so beautifully coloured.
Hugs
Wendy xx

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Fabulous card. thanks for joining us at Create And Inspire

Hugs
Claudia
DT Create And Inspire

Pat K said...

Absolutely gorgeous card Donna. Beautifully coloured as always and I love this design. I'm sure your Mom will love it and Happy Mother's Day to you both. Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky. hugs, Pat K x

Lorraine said...

This is gorgeous Donna, I love the cute image and brilliant design.
Lorraine x

Dess V said...

Oh, such a sweet little mice! I love your coloring!
Lovely and gorgeous!
Thanks for joining in Card mania challenge!
*Dess*

Unknown said...

This is just adorable... Love the coloring of the image and design. :)
Have a great day!

Billie A said...

Beautiful card and I love the coloring. Great layout. Stunning card and so glad you joined us at Aud Sentiments.

EdenLand Designs said...

This is absolutely beautiful :) The image, the design, the papers and the coloring are all perfect!! Love this, and I'm sure your mom did too!!! Thanks for sharing this with us at Creative Fingers this time around!!
Susan DT

Tracy S said...

Such a lovely card. Your coloring is exquisite. I am sure your mum loved it.

Francesca Lopez said...

Great card Donna! Thank you for joining us over at Cute As A Button designs Challenge. - Francesca, owner

Anonymous said...

Cute card so pretty, Thanks for joining in with our challenge at As You Like It,
hugs Samantha :0)

Helen said...

Beautiful card - so pretty...and clever too!
Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
Helen x

Miss Emerald said...

Gorgeous card and wonderful coloring. Thanks for joining us at Card Mania Challenges. Good luck and hope you'll join us again.

Melanie said...

A lovely card!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "mother’s day/for a special lady” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

(DT Come and Get It)

(DT Crafty Friends)

Annette said...

Wow, this winged fold shape is gorgeous. I love it. Fabulous.
Hugs
Annette - Netty's Cards
xx
Proud to design for :
Lili of the Valley,
My Mum's Craft Shop,
In The Pink Challenge
As You Like It Challenge.

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at Creative Fingers and at Cute as a Button. Hope to see you again next time.

Unknown said...

What a fabulous image and your card is so beautifully balanced with a beautiful mix of colors, textures and patterns. I bet your mum loved her card. Fab job on the coloring :)

Thank you for joining us at Cute As A Button, Good Luck :)

Samantha - http://cuteasabuttonchallenge.blogspot.com

Ola (Ikemo) said...

Oh wooow it's so lovely! Thank you for joining Card Mania Challenges