Thursday, April 21, 2016

NOT a card

When I saw the challenge at As You Like It with the theme "Favourite Non Card Project" it was a toss up between one of my cakes or a painting.  In the end I thought I'd show one of my paintings. I painted this panther some time ago for my hubby's birthday, it's one of my favourite paintings because I made it for one of my favourite people, aaw, and he loved it, which made me proud.  
It was his birthday again last week and I only just managed to get a card made for him; how I ever found  the time to do a project like this I don't know... then again I was teaching decorative painting from home at the time, and card making hadn't taken root, lol.  I do hope you like it; ... it hangs in our al fresco area now, uplight by a lamp that really brings out those eyes
The whole thing is one piece of MDF, a platter I suppose you'd call it.  I used a pattern from Folk Art and Decorative Painting magazine and Jo Sonja Acrylic paints.... the "woodgrain" effect on the pseudo frame was done using cling film!!
There are a LOT of tiny strokes (using a tiny liner brush) involved to get the look of the fur, as with all things crafty (in my experience) it looks better in real life!


The eyes "follow you", very hard to capture in a photo... very effective irl.
I thought while I was at it I'd share my painting in Craft Your PassionThrough the Craftroom DoorLi'l Patch of Crafty Friends and Bizzy Becs Anything Goes challenges.  I think they're all okay with Non Paper projects, apologies if that's not the case.
I painted another picture about the same time as this one, of a clown, it's the one picture I painted that he has been keen on keeping on display (as well as this one, which was made for him and therefore a "given", lol)  I will show that another day soon.
I'll be back in a few days... with a card.  Until then, Happy Crafting, Donna

7 comments:

Wishcraft said...

Wow that's beautiful! Aren't you talented?! Hugs, Lisa x

Pat K said...

Wowzers Donna...this is beyond fabulous. Your colouring is breathtaking...I can only image how beautiful it looks IRL. I'm so happy you shared this one...it's a treasure. hugs, xx

Elaine Stark said...

A stunning painting. A lovely theme and so well painted with those small brush strokes. A beautiful present. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine

Anonymous said...

WOw this is ROARsome! love it stunning colouring!
Thanks for joining in with our challenge at As You Like It,
hugs Samantha :0)

Anonymous said...

This is a truly amazing piece.So much work has gone into this with all those teeny brush strokes with such super results.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
Lisa x

andree said...

Truly brilliant. Thank you so much for joining us this time at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. Good luck and hope to see you again soon. Andree {DT Lil Patch of Crafty Friends}

Unknown said...

I know how long all of that fur would have taken to paint! You did a great job. Thanks for entering the Anything Goes Chalkenge at Bizzy Bec's this month, Jackie DT x